Doctor I am

 Get your story published in The Chicken Soup for the Indian Soul – Indian Doctors at BlogAdda


‘’Doctor I am, tell me what is bothering you, the disease or the thought that leading to the disease’’









An old woman in oncology ward was constantly looking at that door as if she was expecting someone to come, to ask her how she is feeling. Her eyes were telling the story of her loneliness; wrinkles on her face were reflecting her pain and not only the age. At the age when she was retired from her responsibilities, no one is taking responsibility of her. When she needed the support of her loved ones, a shoulder for support, she would force to be in her bed in the ward by the nurses. She was just trying to find the reason to live, though she knew nobody needs her anymore and it would not affect anybody whether she is alive or dead.






My clinicals had started in third year and I was wondering with stethoscope around my neck as if I were practicing from years. I was actually watching her very closely and without any connecting cord, I felt myself connected to her on the ground of humanity, she needed someone and I gave my hand to her to gave her comfort and motivate her. Her emotional pain was worst than the cancer, the cancerous thoughts were invading her mind and the wounds were deeper to heal. I felt her agony without any conversation with her and I put my hand on shoulder to make her feel better. She smiled at me and spoke in Kannada but I understood what she meant without knowing the language.
At that moment, I thought, how her family left her like this. I was attached to her and she used to wait for me.




The days were passing by and because of my sessional exams, I couldn’t got to the hospital for 10 days. Once my exams got over, I went to the hospital took her favorite sweet ‘’pisum’’ but she was not their on her bed, not in the ward even. My eyes were rolling around to find her, in the mean time nurse came and informed me that the woman I am searching is no more …..I felt very helpless; stethoscope around my neck was suffocating me and could not gulp the pain.






However, that was an end of her sufferings ….That all I could say, when things are not under control. God is the best doctor and have the ability to heal even the deepest wound.


That woman died not from cancer but she just wanted too, cancer apparently became the reason but the reason was deeper.




The trend of treating patients has changed with the change in technology. Man is turning in to machine, a machine without perceptions. Consultation charges to be deposited on the counter and they hardly listen to you and treat you by their standard prescription, they won’t listen to you but give you the next appointments. No heart involved in profession, instead too professional attitude for the profession. I am not blaming the doctors, I am a doctor too and understands the limitations but it is my humble request to the doctors that make your patient feel that you heard them and treating them accordingly.





‘’Patients needs the medicines for the diseases but they need ear too’’

21 comments:

Ugich Konitari February 28, 2011 at 3:00 AM  

The mind is actually the best healer. I have observed this fact time and again, and I am convinced, that one can reduce pain and suffering for a sick person, by being a good friend and caretaker of the patient, and most of all, listening to him/her. Medicnes work faster if the mind is full of optimism ....

Always Happy February 28, 2011 at 5:44 AM  

True Pratibha, practicing medicine has become more like running a business for many. Such doctors are merely concerned about the revenues that they can generate out of patients' illnesses ( by this I mean refering patients for investigations etc and obtaining cuts). very few care for the patients and show empathy. I am glad you are one such doctor who cares for patients and their emotions.

magiceye February 28, 2011 at 10:41 PM  

indeed, loneliness is a bigger disease

Arpana March 1, 2011 at 1:25 AM  

It seems much better when a therapist is feeling-It is nice to see a blogger and sensitive one.Truly agree with your feelings.

Geeta Singh March 1, 2011 at 4:09 AM  

well said pratibha :)

Raksha Bhat March 1, 2011 at 5:37 AM  

Pretty Pratty that was really nice of you:)

Dr. Pratibha Singh March 1, 2011 at 6:22 AM  

@Ugich Kothari-Very well said.Glad to see you here.Thanks!

@Always Happy-Great to see you here.Well,I agree that commercialization in health sector is actually affecting trust between doctor and patient.

Dr. Pratibha Singh March 1, 2011 at 6:24 AM  

@magiceye-If you have your loved ones with you,than you can face anything.Thanks for sharing great thought.

@Arpana-thanks dear.Your words mean a lot to me.

Dr. Pratibha Singh March 1, 2011 at 6:25 AM  

@Geeta-thanks dear!!!!

@Raksha-thanks for cute comment.

Shrinidhi Hande March 1, 2011 at 7:31 AM  

Technology has its pros and cons

Healthcare has become so expensive these days

Anonymous March 1, 2011 at 7:44 AM  

very touchy, stabbed the heart. It is a very serious and sad state.

Zephyr March 1, 2011 at 4:56 PM  

So true. Many old people have this feeling of abandonment and they simply give up on life. Sensitive portrayal and plea.

Barkha March 1, 2011 at 9:13 PM  

A heartfelt post indeed. We need to learn the art of empathy to deal with people in pain.

Alka Gurha March 1, 2011 at 9:22 PM  

We need more docs like you...Heartfelt post. I lost my dad to the dreaded C... but he was not lonely.

vijay kumar sappatti March 1, 2011 at 10:11 PM  

amazing and touching post. i really liked it.
thanhks

-----------
मेरी नयी कविता " तेरा नाम " पर आप का स्वागत है .
आपसे निवेदन है की इस अवश्य पढ़िए और अपने कमेन्ट से इसे अनुग्रहित करे.
"""" इस कविता का लिंक है ::::
http://poemsofvijay.blogspot.com/2011/02/blog-post.html
विजय

Arti March 1, 2011 at 11:05 PM  

Very touching indeed, but what pains me most that this is increasingly the story in most of the houses and with most of the elders today!
I pray that all docs be like you :)

Iti March 2, 2011 at 1:26 AM  

Humanity is above everything..your post said everything...nice one......

Dr. Pratibha Singh March 2, 2011 at 3:13 AM  

@Shrinidhi Hande-agree with you sir.

@Pramod ji-but its a fact.

@Zephyr mam-unfortunately scenario is heart breaking.glad you liked it.

@Barkha-thanks for the wonderful comment.

Dr. Pratibha Singh March 2, 2011 at 3:17 AM  

@Alka-very sorry for the loss.May his soul rest in peace.

@Vijay-thanks!

@Arti-oh! Arti,your comment is touching indeed.thanks!!

@iti-very right,thanks iti!

anatreek March 2, 2011 at 6:09 AM  

Coming from a doctor, I think its really reassuring for all the people whose faith in the medical profession is just hanging by a thread..Thank u!

Dr. Pratibha Singh March 9, 2011 at 1:54 AM  

Ana-treek-oh thank you... thank you so much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Follow prats_13 on Twitter

About this blog

BLOGGING makes me feel light hearted.To me its a medium for the outflow of emotions which are woven around me from quite sometimes and were controlling me and hovering my mind and soul.
Oh! I am so relaxed now.
Definately, it has therapeutic effect.So keep healthy and happy blogging.

Total Pageviews

Notable Newbie Blogadda Badge

Notable Newbie Blogadda Badge

Thanks Blogadda

Thanks Blogadda
yup I'm excited about this

Followers

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog....I am Dr Pratibha Singh and I am trying to create awareness in people so that people can have healthy and beautiful smile.Smile improves our face value and giving that wonderful smile is our[dental] profession.So keep reading and updated.
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free
Pratibha - Find me on Bloggers.com
Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Search
Dr Pratibha Singh. Powered by Blogger.

Personal Blogs - Blog Rankings

Personal Blogs
Personal blog
Online Marketing

Blog Directory Blog Topsites

Submit Blog
Blogs Blog Tools Allie Marie

Active Search Results
Photobucket



Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs

I heart FeedBurner

Top Poetry Sites
Copyright 2010 - Pratibha The Talent
Amazing Facts